This is a good soup for all of the spring spinach:
Spinach and Zucchini Soup
3 Tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed/chopped
2 med. onions, chopped (as an onion-phobe, I tend to half the amount, sometimes quarter it–how much you like onions is up to you)
2 1/2 med potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 1/2 cups zucchini, loosely chopped
4 cups vegetable broth/stock
4 cups fresh spinach
1 cup cilantro (I’ve used parsley too and it’s also good here)
one lemon (I love lemon so I sometimes use two)
1. Heat oil on medium-high heat, add garlic and onions in pinch of salt. Saute until onions become translucent.
2. Add stock, potatoes, and zucchini. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10-15 minutes.
3. Stir in spinach and let wilt, about 10 seconds.
4. Stir in cilantro.
5. Turn off heat and puree. And hand blender works well here. Otherwise puree in a blender in small batches, letting it cool a bit first. If you pureed in a blender, return all of the soup to pot.
6. Add juice of one (or two) lemons.
Serve–it’s lovely to drizzle a little olive oil on the top, though not necessary. And this soup is good hot or cold (on hot days).
I love it with some crusty bread and a baked sweet potato.